Another perfect dish for our Pasta Week recipes. This pesto is easy and a great way to sneak spinach into your kids!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1 small bunch of basil (about a cup loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 – 1 cup vegetable stock
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup reserved past water
- 8 oz pasta shells, cooked to directions
Pulse the cashews in your food processor (I used my blendtec) then add the spinach, basil, almond milk, lemon juice, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Blend until completely incorporated, adding more stock if needed (Sauce should be thick so start with the half cup).
In a large pan heat oil over medium heat then add the shallot and a sprinkle of salt. Continue to cook until shallot is soft and beginning to brown. Add in the garlic and cook for 60 seconds until fragrant. Add the cooked pasta, reserved pasta water, and pesto gently folding everything together. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and clings to the pasta. This is best eaten immediatelY with a little cracked pepper.